HOW DO WEIGHT CLASSES WORK?
Men’s Weight Classes = 108 lbs., 114 lbs., 123 lbs., 132 lbs., 141 lbs., 152 lbs., 165 lbs., 178 lbs., 201 lbs.,
Lets take the 132 lbs weight class. The weight for this weight class ranges from 123.1 lbs to 132 lbs and has a 8 lbs max difference. Example: You are 132 lbs, your opponent has to be no lower than 124 lbs and can not be over 132 lbs.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
1) you can not compete with out an up to date USA Boxing Masters Passbook and Physical (Masters ages 45 and older must also have an Exercise EKG / Stress Test every 5 years). Passbooks are good for a calendar year (Expires December 31st of every years) EXAMPLE: You got your passbook April 23rd, 2019. Your book will be good until December 31st, 2019.
Your physical regular physical is good for a full year. EXAMPLE: you had your physical on March 15th 2019, your physical is good until March 15th 2020.
Those ages 45 and older must also have an Exercise EKG also known as the Stress test. These are good for 5 years.
2) Competition Attire: Coordinating uniform with respective red or blue corner is recommend but not required.
No nicknames or phrases will be permitted on the competition uniform.
No adornment may be affixed to the trunks such as metal or plastic objects, sequins, etc.
Boxers are not permitted to wear additional apparel other than the competition uniform into the ring or upon completion of the bout while in the ring, before the announcement of the winner.
Sponsor and/or club logos will be permitted on competition uniform. Slogans must be a part of the sponsor and/or club logo to be included on the competition uniform.
TRUNKS: Boxers must wear a pair of loose-fitting trunks that reach halfway down the thigh, no lower than the knees. The trunks must provide a waistband of a different color than the athletic shirt. Boxers are permitted to have their last name embroidered onto competition trunks as long as it is a different color from the competition singlet/jersey.
TOP: Boxers must wear a sleeveless athletic shirt (singlet or jersey), of a different color from the waistband of the trunks.
No tape or binding of any kind will be permitted on the competition uniform at national competition or competition leading to national competition. This rule may be relaxed at the local and LBC level (to support waistband rule)
3) CUP PROTECTOR: A cup protector must be worn by male boxers. Women may wear a groin protector, if they so choose. Breast Protector is optional for women.
4) PETROLEUM JELLY: The use of a thin coat of pure petroleum jelly (i.e., Vaseline) is permitted on the face only.
5) MOUTHPIECE: A Mouthpiece must be worn by boxers. No red, shades of red, or partially red-colored mouth pieces may be worn.
These are some of the basic rules that we must make sure we follow as they are not an option and will be inforced at USA Boxing Sanctioned events and National tournaments. Brush up on the rulebook, the link is below.
USA Boxing Rulebook